Impact de l’utilisation de Facebook sur l’adaptation socio-affective des enfants de 9–12 ans

Abstract : Objective. – The aim of this study is to describe and identify the associated variables with different factors of children’s socio-affective adaptation, aged from 9 to 12 years old, who possess a Facebook account. These variables are analyzed according to the child’s age and its gender in order to find the main risk factors. Participants and method. – A survey using questionnaires was conducted in 15 schools of the Toulouse region. Children and their parents participated in this research. Out of 508 participants, the 147 children had a Facebook account. The French version of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire made by Goodman (1997) is used in order to measure the level of children’s socio-affective adaptation. This questionnaire inquiries the parental perceptions relating to child’s socio-affective and behavioral adaptation. Besides parents, children answered to an auto-administrated questionnaire asking them about the frequency, the period of time spent online, the digital device (computer, mobil phone), the friendships and communication partners on Facebook. Results. – A slightly larger number of girls have a Facebook account, compared to boys, that is 56.5% (n = 83) and 43.5% (n = 64). More than one third of children (n = 104, 70.7%) who have an account are between 11 and 12 years old. On the other hand, only 29.3% (n = 43) are between 9and 10 years old having a Facebook profile. As far as the communication partners are concerned, 12.2% (n = 18) of children talk with children that they don’t know and the younger ones are proportionally and significantly more (20.9%, n = 9) to talk with people that they don’t know comparing to older children (8.7%, n = 9) [Chi2 (1) = 4,26, p = 0,039]. The majority of children are in the standards in terms of socio-affective adaptation. Having a communication with unknown people online and friendships with the “celebrities” may be a risk factor while having a communication with friends would be a protection factor. Conclusion. – Facebook use does not seem to harm children’s socio-affective adaptation aged of 9 to 12 years old apart from the boys who exhibit more behavioral troubles comparing to girls. Moreover, in a perspective of prevention, it appears to be essential to support children being at a risk of exhibiting psychological issues in order to reduce and avoid the negative outcome of a problematic Facebook use.
Document type :
Journal articles
Complete list of metadatas

Cited literature [39 references]  Display  Hide  Download

https://hal-univ-tlse2.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02150231
Contributor : Laurence Berdot-Talmier <>
Submitted on : Friday, June 7, 2019 - 10:17:14 AM
Last modification on : Monday, June 24, 2019 - 2:42:32 PM

File

L.B-T Neuropsychiatrie 2018.pd...
Files produced by the author(s)

Identifiers

Collections

Citation

Laurence Berdot-Talmier, Chantal Zaouche Gaudron. Impact de l’utilisation de Facebook sur l’adaptation socio-affective des enfants de 9–12 ans. Neuropsychiatrie de l'Enfance et de l'Adolescence, Elsevier Masson, 2018, 66 (3), pp.154-164. ⟨10.1016/j.neurenf.2018.01.004⟩. ⟨hal-02150231⟩

Share

Metrics

Record views

32

Files downloads

67